What Transpires To My Loved Ones
It is natural to worry about the well being of your family, pets and other loved ones when you go into rehab but there are several options to see to their care while you get treatment.
How one's family will fare during rehabilitation remains one of the many challenges that an addict faces if he wants to seek medical assistance for his problem.
All these challenges can be defeated, and understanding your alternatives can help you come up with the best selection for you and your family members.
When you strategize well and enquire for aid before beginning therapy, your blood relation will be excellently cared for through your whole treatment.
- Who will take care of my kids while I am at a treatment centre?
- What if I don't have loved ones who can help?
- Are there any other options?
- Are my loved ones permitted to visit me?
- How will my family get by financially while I'm in treatment?
- How do I tell my children about going to rehab?
- While at the rehab, what will happen to my pet?
- How can I stay in touch with my loved ones while in rehab?
- How can I find treatment now?
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Child Care Choices For People In Rehabilitation
You may find it challenging to get a good person to take care of your kids if you want to seek medical assistance at a rehabilitation centre. There are, however, many alternatives to make sure your child is safe and sound while you are in a rehab.
The best choice is usually someone who your children already know and trust who is close to your family.
We can assist you to get a program that will help your recovery if you contact us on 0800 246 1509.
A lot of parents in treatment ask for help from their
- Your partner
- Your brothers and sisters
- Your intimate friends
If these individuals are unavailable due to engagements such as school or work, daytime child care could be a viable option. There are treatment facilities that offer services to care for children or will link you up to a child care services provider.
Some treatment centres will allow your kids to stay with you if you are a single parent. Your kids will be examined and treated if they are suspected to have mental issues apart from treating you.
Contact us right away for aid acquiring a therapy that enables your kid to live together with you.
Letting Your Children Know About Your Journey To Rehab
It's important to talk to your child about your addiction and why you're going to treatment. Carrying on while you are away will be easy as they have a full grasp of what is going on. It will as well aid them recognize they're not to accuse.
Some factors to consider when communicating to your kids are
- Know as much as possible about rehabilitation and dependence on addictive substances.
- Discussing with your children will become easy, depending on the level of your understanding of the two issues.
- Communicate in a language that is appropriate for their age and level of understanding.
- Don't use medical terms.
- Before you talk to your children, make sure the timing is right.
- A relaxed environment that has minimal interruption and distractions is best.
- Know their emotions and the effect your dependence has had on them.
- Make an apology if you have caused them pain.
- Create time for questions and answers session and don't hide anything from them.
- Make it clear that your addiction is not their fault and that they cannot change your behaviour.
"Seven Cs" have been created by the National Association for Children of Alcoholics help children learn how to cope with drug or alcohol abuse of their parents. To help them remember that they are not to blame, "Seven C's" are taught to children. It also offers ideas on how to deal with a parent who is addicted.
The Seven Cs
- I am not the cause
- I can't cure it
- I cannot control it
- I am able to care better for myself
- By communicating my feelings
- Making health conscious choices, and
- Celebrating me
Non-Profit And Government Child Care Opportunities
Those who do not have family or friends to look after their children have other options. Safe Families for Children, a non-government organization that employs volunteers, is one of them. Kids who are abandoned by their parents are sheltered by this NGO. To make sure your children will be safe and cared for, volunteers are thoroughly screened by the Safe Families for Children program. These plans enable real parents to keep custody during and after therapy.
If there are no such programs that match what you need as a family, you may consider voluntary foster placement if it is offered in your state. This should be the last choice.
You will be required to sign a Voluntary Placement Agreement (VPA) if you decide to put your kid in foster care. By doing so, you totally accept to short-lived shift the care and custody of your kid to the section of Children's services. You might have to pay monthly child support.
It is an alternative, although it may be terrifying to make that choice. If you are must go to the court as required by the agreement you sign with the VPA, do it. Don't forget that getting clean is what is best for your children and yourself.
Pet Care Options For Rehabilitation
Pets are very crucial members of most of the families. Similar to dependents with kids, people with pets often strive to discover a very good caregiver. If blood relations or friends are not capable to attend to your pet when you're in treatment, there are various other choices.
Most boarding facilities have long term options, but this can cost a lot of money. If your pets don't need too much care, you may hire a pet sitter to take care of them at a lower fee. The pet sitter will be coming to your house on specific days each week to provide the necessary care for your pet. While you are away, some might even take your pets to their home. This arrangement is especially great for pets that require greater attention such as dogs.
You should ensure that the person you left your pet with while you are away has all the necessary guidelines, your pet's medical history and your vet or animal clinic emergency number. Let your vet know that someone else is caring for your animal temporarily.
Some treatment centres will allow you to bring your pet with you if leaving them is not a viable option. Pet friendly facilities are becoming more popular but are still rare. You may be forced to go to another city or state to get a program. If you do not have access to a facility that allows you to reside with your pet, you may find one that lets your pet to be brought over during visits.
Visits From Loved Ones When In Rehabilitation
Majority of programs have established that loved ones are a critical part of the treatment and having their support is extremely crucial for you to fully recover.
For the first 3 to 7 days after you arrive at the centre, you are not allowed to contact or discuss with anybody as a way of helping you get used to the new environment.
Immediately the first waiting duration is over, many treatment centres provide visitation hours.
While some centres allow visitors either weekly or monthly, others allow them during the short break in the afternoon. Each rehab has its own stipulated duration for visitors.
A counsellor may need to approve visitors and they will be added to an approved visitor's list in order to visit you. View your centres' regulations to make sure that your loved ones match the essential demands for visitation.
Contacting Your Friends And Family From Treatment
While you are in treatment you can talk with your friends and family in a few ways. Most places will allow phone calls and emails during designated times, but this varies by facility. You are also able to send and receive letters.
Some places will even allow you to receive care packages from your loved ones. These packages will however have to be screened by staff members before you receive them to ensure safety. To find out what items are allowed in care packages, check with your facility's administration.
You might also find a facility that allows family therapy. Your family may be suffering from reliance on drugs too. These meetings give chance for recognition of every person's emotions and treatment by all.
Financial Assistance For Your Family During Therapy
The expense of dependence rehab can be a big financial load, more so if your blood relation loses an origin of revenue when you're in therapy. Here are a few ways to lessen money problems down the road
- You can consider the time you spend at the centre as part of your paid time off or sick leave if you have a discussion with your boss about it.
- Your boss may pay part of the medical bill, even if you are financially buoyant and can easily foot the bill.
- Request your loved one, (friends and family) for help.
- Your medical bill or other bills may be taken care of by individuals who are ready to lend a helping hand.
- The company that handles your health insurance may pay part of the money if you contact them.
- There are options in Medicaid / Medicare and the Affordable Care Act that might cover some of your rehab costs.
- You can also find out at your workplace if your employer offers short term disability and if they do, does it cover alcohol and drug rehab.
- These choices may assist lower the total expenses.
- You could also find out if the rehab centre allows for financing and different forms of payment plans that can make the cost more manageable.
In the scenario that your blood relation gets behind on bills when you're in treatment, attempt contacting your creditors to quickly request for an extension or to modify the due dates for your requital. A lot of people will be prepared to cooperate with you because many know what addiction means and will want to support your decision to quit.
Treatment Of Addiction Is The Best For You And The People You Love
Your worries regarding visiting therapy and leaving your loved ones behind are absolutely sensible. When going to the rehab for the first time, nearly everybody has the same concerns. But it's important to get the help you need and not to let these concerns dissuade you. At the end of the day, being sober is the best thing for you and the people you love.
Dependence on drug shouldn't be what you will spend your live or that of your family on always.