What Is Motivational Enhancement Therapy
Four targeted therapy sessions are all that is required for people to overcome their addictions with the help of motivational enhancement therapy [MET]. The therapy sessions focus on internal change through motivation.
This is an approach which is designed specifically to motivate addicts internally and motivational enhancement therapy [MET] utilises the methods of intervention and counselling to achieve its objectives. MET works well when it is combined with other types of counselling for individuals who are addicted such as the 12 step treatment method. After an underlying appraisal, MET is included four focused on treatment sessions. Every meeting is custom made to the requirements of the patient. Before treatment goals are set, the information that is acquired during the assessment is analysed in the initial sessions. Succeeding meetings give the individual the view and good support for remaining abstinent.
The addicts are taught the most effective way to modify their conducts and thoughts by the MET.
Motivational Enhancement Therapy For Treatment Of Dependencies
An individual's treatment requirements are assessed at the time they enter the treatment centre. During the quitting process, there is specialist who checks on the body of the patient to ensure that everything is going ok.
Later, with the idea of teaching the addicts to modify their conducts and behaviour the MET therapist enter in the process.
MET likewise helps treats co-happening mental clutters. Coexisting psychological wellness concerns are typical in dependent individuals since such conditions could be influenced by brain chemistry imbalance. MET can treat dependence and a co-happening issue in the meantime to anticipate future backslide.
Some co-happening conditions MET treats include
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Bipolar affective illness
- Eating disorders
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Met Used With Other Treatments
MET is rarely applied on its own and is usually a part of an addiction treatment program that normally includes Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, 12-step programs and other behavioural therapies. The objective of these techniques is to guide the patient through behavioural change through the use of specific techniques. 12-steps program offers a stage by stage process to achieve and keeping the addict away from drugs, while CBT teaches methods to deal with stress in a good way.
Met Therapy And Methods
There are five basic components of MET that patients and specialists will work through.
These are procedures that have been found to energize sentiments of motivational change in those agony from medication fixation.
- Empathy Development And Expression
- Encouragement is provided for the patient to understand and develop empathy to learn how their actions are affecting other people around them.
- Empathy can provide the motivation needed to make someone change.
- The relationship between the addict and the therapist will improve thanks to empathy.
- Accepting that there are differences between what they think and what is real.
- It is important that patients accept the reality that they are not really where they think they are in life if they are to be more receptive to the treatment.
- The recognition of this can be an eye-opener and can also assist in eliciting feelings of self-motivation to bring about a change.
- Staying Away From Conflict
- How hard the addicts have used the drugs is not a theme of discussion during the sessions.
- A positive approach to MET is always encouraged in the patients.
- Part of the treatment process is accepting resistance.
- MET helps dependent individuals work through their imperviousness to dependence treatment.
- Therapists connect with recouping addicts on an individual level, helping them understand how their practices are affecting their objectives and connections.
- Encouraging A Recovering Addict's Self-Efficacy
- Recuperating abusers should trust in their capability to reach their aims.
- Achieving their objectives is something that every addict needs to have in their mind to quit drugs, and MET helps them to know how.
- Counsellors support favourable ideas and conducts which strengthen the idea of self confidence.
Get Support For A Drug Or Alcohol Dependency
If you are suffering from a drug or alcohol addiction, or you are aware about someone you love being addicted you can rest assured that we can help. Mental health counselling is a major part of treatment in many residential and outpatient treatment centres. Finding the inspiration to get - and stay - calm can be a basic piece to long-term recuperation, contact 0800 246 1509 for assistance.