The Misuse Of Drugs In Higher Institutions
Many college-going students have a drinking or drug problem.
A national report shows that a huge number of abusers are college students.
The risk of addiction is already high in young people within the age bracket of 18 to 24.
It is common for many students to come across problems of natural social anxiety when they begin life in college. For students who do not engage in extracurricular activities or clubs find it easier to socialize through drinking. These addiction usually comes gradually when the continue drinking.
Students who are attending college in a full-time college program are twice as likely to fall prey to this problem than the students who do not attend college.
Top Reasons Behind High Addiction Rates In College Students
Several things can lead college pupils to fall for drug overuse and these are
- For students dealing with the stress of coursework, part time jobs, internships and the likes many students turn to drugs as a coping mechanism.
- Course Load
- Adderall is one of many stimulants that pupils take in order to stay awake and turn in their homework on time.
- Many of the time students procure prescription-based medicines when they don't have a legal prescription.
- The lack of experience and an adventurous nature of being a youth can sometimes lead students to desire to use drugs for the first time.
- It is almost usual among people at this age to explore and experiment with new things and experiences in life.
- Group/Social/Peer Pressure
- Students who are part of a peer group in which many people use recreational drugs are more susceptible to use drugs.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Diet Pills And Eating Disorders At College
Unhealthy eating behaviours are more likely to form among college pupils.
According to a research of the National Institute of Mental Health, at least 25% of college pupils have problems with unhealthy eating behaviours. A report revealed that the number of both males and females having unhealthy eating behaviours has increased by far in the past twenty years. In order to cut down weight, many college pupils opt for diet tablets overuse. This diet pill use is linked to common health issues and even cause death. Learn about diet pill abuse and eating disorders in college students.
Chosen Drugs On College Campuses
Depending on the prevailing waves and technological advances of the time, the drug of choice among college students change with time.
College pupils take some drugs are taken more than others. Some of them are
- Alcohol is attributed to most cases of campus troubles that are related to substance use.
- It is not considered illicit especially if you are of age hence regulating or identifying abuse of this substance is often overlooked.
- Another form of drug that is used mostly in colleges is Adderall because many students believe that it keeps them awake and they can concentrate on their studies.
- As more and more states approve of the legal use of Marijuana, it has become increasingly common among college students.
- Marijuana beats alcohol consumption in some campuses.
- Ecstasy which became popular during the 90s is presently making a resurgence during the past few years in its pure form and is known as MDMA or Molly.
- It is relatively accessible among college students as a party drug, and they are more likely to use this drug as they fall under the target age range for this drug abuse.
- One of the most common party drugs is MDMA.
Alcohol Effects On College Pupils
The most hazardous drug found in college campuses is booze. Booze is basically ever present at private parties, sport venues, and student gatherings therefore becoming synonym of college experience.
It is observed that the average college students consume more alcohol that their out of school counterparts which can be attributed to the culture and widespread use in campuses.
Booze is drunk by four out of five college pupils.
A research performed by the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism has shown that about half of pupils have drank heavily. Attack, injury, detention, and passing are issues related to binge drinking, not only long term problems related to health. Get more info about heavy drinking and the symptoms of booze on college campuses.
Fraternity And Sorority Drug And Alcohol Abuse
There are many different fraternities in colleges, each of which encourages its members to have friendly relations with other members and to seek excellence in academia and other spheres, but Greek system, with all its good points, has more cases of alcohol and drug abuse than others.
Members within the fraternity and the sorority are more than likely than their non-Greek peers to abuse prescription medications, including Adderall.
Getting The Assistance Required For Dependency On Drugs Or Alcohol
If you or someone you know in campus is overtly showing signs of any of the aforementioned abuse, take urgent action to ask for help. We can help you get the best assistance in stopping this addiction. Regain control of your life by contacting us on 0800 246 1509 about your substance abuse.