The Transition Between Rehabilitation And General Life
You might want to celebrate once you achieve sobriety but don't think the job is done, because staying sober is just as difficult as, perhaps even more than, achieving sobriety. Identifying new activities to do will help a person keep away from the drugs.
It is easier to stay clean in a rehab centre because the environment is controlled, devoid of any factors that had earlier pushed toward addiction.
Provision of opportunities of restoration and survival and a strong background of safety are provided by rehabilitation that keeps one going while at home.
It may be demanding to adapt to living in abstinence outside the centre even when leaving the centre is interesting.
However, people get to learn about the best ways through which they can live a clean lifestyle after rehab even when they face the desires to use the drugs again. Abstinence maintenance is made less difficult by this fact.
Managing And Staying Away From Temptations After Rehabilitation
The transition of moving from a supported environment back to normality can be a challenging task for an addict who has recovered.
After leaving the rehab it becomes easy for the individual to find himself or herself being put in trigger situations or conditions that can spark the thoughts of reverting back to the previous habits.
Company of old acquaintances, being in the midst of old surroundings, and specific emotions might lure you into reaching out for the substance to which you were earlier addicted to.
Here are few things you can engage in as distractions to manage triggers
- Establish A Support System
- Hang out with clean people and your loved ones who are willing to lend you a helping hand in your effort to stay clean.
- You can also join the groups in your locality.
- Modify Your Environment
- Ensure your house is free of any traces of drugs before you move into it after completing rehab.
- Manage to stay away or redesign rooms or places to avoid rekindling old feelings that may trigger your substance abuse.
- Plans For Your Life
- Some support the idea that setting objectives or new plans for the future could help you become stronger in resisting urges or temptations.
- It makes sticking to abstinence simpler if there is a deep understanding of the advantages and good effects of being abstinent.
- Go For Check Ups And Counsel Sessions
- Make sure that you continue going for counselling even after you have left the rehab.
- Help from doctors and rehabilitation centres are important to sustain abstinence although sometimes they seem like lots of stress and you might be tempted to skip.
- Take time to appreciate.
- It can be easier to recognise the many things that we can be thankful for when we develop a strong appreciation for the life we have been given.
- You may keep a list of all things that you are grateful for that you may enjoy from day to day.
- Replace Bad Habits With New Better Ones
- To develop new habits so that you start doing them automatically takes more than 60 days, and therefore you should make efforts to stick with new positive changes you introduce into your life.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Engage With Positive Recreational Activities Or Pastimes
Giving up old habits and forming new, positive ones are essential to staying clean.
Activities which promote sobriety do not have to be boring because there is plenty of fun, which can be had without the use of drugs and alcohol.
You can get in touch with us on 0800 246 1509 if you require more help on stopping the use of alcohol or overcoming it after leaving the rehab.
Given below are a few examples providing you healthy methods to keep your mind occupied during the transition from rehab
- Physical fitness activities
- Artistry place visitation
- Go back to school or begin an online course
- Learn a new language
- Take up farming
- Offer humanitarian services
Join Support Groups That Provide A Community Feel
It will not be difficult for you to find positive outlets that can provide community and support during your life after the rehab regardless of where you are living. Become part of such a group by enrolling into a support group and group therapy.
There are also several avenues providing continuous care and support, like one-to-one therapy and 12-steps meetings.
Partying Around Drugs And Alcohol While Remaining In Control
It may be challenging for a person who has just left rehab to resist the temptation to drink a little when they are in a bar. When you are in a place where access to drinks or other possible substances is uninhibited, then you may just well forget about sobriety.
However, there can be situations when some type of alcohol use will become inevitable [like for example a family holiday party] and they are certain steps which you can take that can ease the situation for you.
What to do to resist urges in social gatherings
- Keeping a company that is sober is one of the best way to overcome this.
- Have in hand a non-alcoholic beverage which will keep your senses occupied.
- Arrive after schedule and depart before its end, to reduce time spent at the gathering.
- Depart immediately if you begin to feel uncomfortable or tempted.
Why You Should Get And Stay Sober
Your general well being will be improved when you start being sober. Embarking on a sober life is definitely worth the difficulty and the reasons go far beyond the physical benefits which will become attainable. This include
- Getting new company that don't use alcohol
- Frugal spending
- Clarity in mind and new excitement for life
- Always having a high life esteem
- Physical and mental improvements
- Give new hope to other addicts who want to quit
Of all the battles you might fight, overcoming alcohol or substances abuse might be the most difficult. The process will not be fast or seamless, and it is a lifelong commitment. Simply by making an effort to remain sober you will have acquired new strength by overcoming the problems that you thought you would not be able to achieve.
You must be willing to keep clean for you to be successful. Recollection of reasons you decided to stop using at the beginning helps when faced with urges to backslide.